Spotswood Structure Plan: Economic Analysis and Market Feasibility Assessment
Client: Hobsons Bay City Council
This assessment provided direction for the Spotswood Structure Plan with regard to enhancing and sustaining the economic performance of the Spotswood Neighbourhood Activity Centre as well as the future direction for the adjoining industrial precinct and residential areas over the next 20 years. Key elements of the assessment included:
- Analysing the demographic context and implications for future land use.
- Establishing a future strategic direction for the activity centre given retail trends.
- Identifying development opportunities for higher density residential development and employment activities within the structure plan area.
- Recommending a future strategic direction for precincts reflecting their envisaged role and function, and supporting structure plan initiatives and infrastructure initiatives.
Gisborne Business Park Master Plan: Economic Assessment and Commercial/Industrial Market Testing
Client: Macedon Ranges Shire Council
Blair Warman Economics (BWEC) was appointed by the Macedon Ranges Shire Council to assess development opportunities for the Gisborne Business Park and identify the future strategic direction for the business park. This was based upon an analysis of:
- The context within which industrial related activity occurs within Gisborne.
- Key policies and strategies that will influence the drivers of future development.
- The current utilisation of industrial land in terms of the mix of businesses, lot sizes and rate of absorption.
- Property market conditions relative to competing locations.
- Case studies of industrial land use in other peri-urban locations.
- Consultation with real estate professionals.
This assessment provided recommendations for the future growth of the business park with respect to its future role and function, potential land uses, and appropriate lot sizes.
Office Market Assessment: Cremorne Mixed Use Project
Client: Private Developer
This assessment was undertaken as part of a planning application for a proposed mixed-use development. It assessed future opportunities for the development of office floorspace based upon:
- Current and anticipated office market conditions and the likely positioning of the project.
- The strategic land use context and Council’s vision for the Cremorne Employment Precinct.
Glen Eira Economic Analysis and Forecasting Study
Client: City of Glen Eira
Blair Warman Economics assembled a multi-disciplinary project team to address Council’s requirement for an economic assessment of the role, function and future of commercial centres in Glen Eira. This provided the strategic direction for the future planning of activity centres and employment precincts over the period to 2036.
The key tasks undertaken in preparing this assessment were:
- A review of relevant land use policies, residents’ demographic and socio economic characteristics, and retail industry trends that together influence the role and function of Glen Eira’s activity centres.
- Surveying residents’ shopping behaviour, activity centres’ business and land use mix, and the catchment area of Glen Eira’s three urban villages.
- Forecasting future supportable retail floor space within Glen Eira.
- Preparing individual assessments for all urban villages and neighbourhood centres.
- Assessing the viability of Glen Eira’s Commercial 2 and Industrial zoned precincts to support ongoing employment and commercial activity.
- Identifying economic development initiatives that may be undertaken by Council to support the performance and viability of Glen Eira’s activity centres.
- Assessing existing and future social infrastructure requirements.
- Blair Warman Economics – Economic analysis
- ASR Research – Social infrastructure planning
- Directional Insights – Household telephone surveys
- Cattran Consulting – Economic development
Casey Civic Centre Site – Economic Feasibility Assessment
Client: City of Casey
Blair Warman Economics and sub-consultant Charter Keck Cramer were appointed by Council in May 2017 to assess future development opportunities and disposal options for Council offices, library, and adjacent ‘at grade’ car parking within the Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD. The subject site is approximately 4 hectares and provides a key strategic land use opportunity to link Westfield Fountain Gate with the ARC/Bunjil Place precinct.
Key components of this assessment included:
- Assessing the existing land use, economic, demographic and property market context and the implications for future development opportunities.
- Analysing development opportunities for a range of land uses including retail, commercial office, short-stay accommodation, health and residential uses.
- Determining the highest and best use for Council’s site from both a financial and long-term strategic planning perspective.
- Evaluating potential property disposal options for the site.
- Blair Warman Economics – Economic analysis.
- Charter Keck Cramer – Corporate real estate advice.
Peer Review – Millers Junction Economic Impact Assessment
Client: Hobsons Bay City Council
Council requested Blair Warman Economics to peer review the economic impact assessment prepared for the proposed expansion of Millers Junction in Altona North. This included assessing the likely trade area for the expanded centre, retail sales potential and potential economic impacts upon existing centres.
Some examples of projects undertaken by Blair Warman when previously with Charter Keck Cramer are provided below.
- Development Site Assessments (various)
- Retail Floorspace Assessments (various)
- Acland Street Conversion: Economic & Business Impact Assessment (City of Port Phillip)
- Burvale Hotel – Development Opportunities Assessment (ALE Property Group)
- Monash Industrial Land Use Strategy (City of Monash)
- Sigma Pharmaceuticals (Clayton South) Economic Land Use Assessment
- Darebin Green Business Attraction Strategy (City of Darebin)
- South Melbourne Market: Economic and Social Impact Assessment
- Highpoint Shopping Centre – Commercial and Residential Development Opportunities Assessment (GPT Group)
- Greensborough Structure Plan Review: Economic Base Report (Banyule City Council)
- City of Casey Housing Market Assessment (City of Casey)
- Airport West Activity Centre: Economic Analysis and Market Feasibility Assessment (Moonee Valley City Council)